Monday 14 April 2014

Going grey

I'm going grey with my knitting. Normally I am all about the colours, but lately I've been very drawn to sombre yet silverly grey.

Moray star


Although I often buy grey yarn, I didn't used to knit with it much. This changed after I spotted Di Gilpin's Moray Star jumper at her presentation at Shetland Wool week, knit in shimmery grey Sublime Yarns Lustrous Extra Fine Merino. I immediately determined to knit using the same yarn - a 33% nylon/67% merino blend. I would normally avoid nylon except in sock yarns, but in this case it lends such a lovely shine and depth to the colour I couldn't resist.

I meant to knit this to wear at New Years, but I only managed to finish about a week ago. We didn't do anything exciting for New Years anyway, and now I've got next year's outfit sorted!

The pattern was littered with mistakes, but nothing I couldn't figure out for myself. Also, my gauge was all over the place - I started on smaller needles, then switched to larger ones after the ribbing, but switched back after I noticed the body was increasing at an alarming rate. Luckily all the changes don't seem to have had any ill effect, and I'm very happy with how it turned out.



If you like shine but shun synthetic fibres, chosing a silk wool blend is a great compromise. I've been working on several wool/silk projects:

Code: Armonika Cowl 


Armonika is a structured, textural cowl with an easy four row repeat pattern. I'm knitting mine in Venezia Worsted from Cascade yarns. This is a gorgous yarn, and I'm definitely going to use it again.





I've caught the designing bug, and have already worked up my next pattern - a pair of stripey fingerless mitts. This time I branched out from grey with a spot of mustard yellow. Watch this space for the pattern!




All this grey is going to my head. I'm starting to think maybe I should go grey, literaly, like the lovely St Vincent.

No comments:

Post a Comment